Dental x-rays are an important tool to help diagnose dental problems not visible to the naked eye. Dr Langrell-Read is able to assess and monitor a number of dental conditions including dental decay, diseases of the bone supporting the teeth (e.g periodontitis / dental abscesses / other dental pathologies affecting the jaw bone), to monitor the development and position of the teeth over time including the diagnosis of impacted teeth including impacted wisdom teeth, and to monitor previous dental repairs such as fillings, crowns, root canal fillings, and dental implants.
At Newmarket Family Dental Care we use Digital Radiography – The physical process for digital radiography is similar to the traditional dental film x-ray process – however with Digital Radiography we insert a digital plate into your mouth to capture the images of your teeth and other oral structures – or we have you stand in a scanning x-ray called an orthopantomogram (Panorex) to get a complete image of your jaw. When more complex diagnosis is required as in the case of Implant treatment planning or assessing dental trauma a Cone Beam Computer Tomography (CBCT) Scan will be recommended to provide the appropriate diagnostic information.
The new technology allows us to assess and monitor the progression of dental problems in a consistent and predictable manner over a number of years.
Benefits of Digital X-rays
- The standard size of traditional X-rays can make viewing difficult. Digital x-rays use small sensors or plates similar to the traditional “Wet-film” x-rays. Dr Carolyn Langrell-Read has selected the Phosphoric-Plate system for the In-mouth dental x-rays. The x-ray plates are of variable size making the process more comfortable for the patient.
- Instant Images: Digital x-rays provide images to the computer monitor in as little as 30 seconds. No longer do you have to wait while the film is processed - the images is available to aid in diagnosis almost instantly providing obvious advantage to the dentist assisting with diagnosis while at the same time reducing your time in the dental chair.
- Digital x-rays use significantly less radiation than traditional “wet-film” x-rays - In fact, digital x-rays use up to 90 percent less radiation than film x-rays.
- While conventional film x-rays are relatively safe, digital radiography is an excellent alternative to providing the same benefit to you at a fraction of the radiation dosage. This new technology allows us to assess and monitor the progression of dental problems in a consistent manner over a number of years using a fraction of the radiation dose.
- The techniques for taking the x-rays are standardised with respect to the use of dental x-ray plate holders and radiation dose – No longer do the x-ray have inconsistencies of traditional films x-ray techniques such as variation in the processing time, concentration and temperature of the chemicals.
- Digital x-rays provide consistently high quality images. Once processed to the computer monitor, digital x-rays can be magnified for a better view of the tooth or bone structures. Brightness contrast and colour can be adjusted allowing for better diagnosis of small cavities. This is particularly important in the field of Minimally Invasive Dentistry where diagnosis and monitoring of early dental disease is a key component of optimal patient care.
- Digital x-rays can are easily formatted to share with other practitioners – whether it is a specialist referral, a second opinion or the transferring of your dental records to a new dentist. This is easily achieved with the use of digital x-rays. Digital x-rays can be printed out – however there is loss of some of the diagnostic clarity of the image – We prefer to share your images in digital format via email when required.
- Digital x-rays are environmentally friendly – No plastic films or chemicals to dispose
Finally, a dental service I can rely on and honestly don't mind visiting. Our whole family see Carolyn and her team on a regular basis. The general dental care we receive is wonderful. Carolyn's thorough yet relaxed and friendly manner leave us feeling like we have made the right choice in moving to her clinic from elsewhere. I personally had a problem with clenching/grinding my teeth at night, which was damaging and wearing them down. Carolyn suggested I have a specially moulded retainer made to wear whilst sleeping. I was worried it would be uncomfortable, or wouldn't really work, but I am absolutely amazed at its success, and it is actually comfortable. No further wear and tear on my teeth and no more waking up with headaches. Also, thank you Carolyn for all your help and guidance through my recent, major wisdom tooth extraction.
Thanks Carolyn and co for the care extended to Team Collett over the last four years. We really couldn’t be happier! We have one child who now wants to study dentistry and adores all the gory stories. And another that will now happily turn up for the joy of choosing the wackiest sunglasses. The journey with him in particular has included star jumps to shake out nerves, text messages from the Tooth Fairy congratulating him on his bravery, the fantastic monster paste to encourage brushing performance, and now matching emoji glasses. We really can’t thank you enough for the empathy and creativity used, but most importantly the amazing professional care. We tell everyone how amazing you are!
I can’t recommend Newmarket Family Dental Care highly enough! From my first contact with the team, throughout my dental work, to the follow up calls – every stage with Carolyn and her lovely team exceeded all my expectations and put any nerves I had at ease. They even supplied me with a pink unicorn hot wheat sack, blanket and funky glasses…ever seen anyone so happy and at home having their wisdom teeth extracted? If you’re a nervous patient looking for a lovely dental team, or just wanting excellent dental treatment from a well trusted and highly skilled dentist, don’t look past Newmarket Family Dental Care! Thank you team!
Finding Carolyn was one of the best things that happened to me since I moved to Auckland 2 years ago. I've had my share of bad dentists over the past couple of decades, which was both costly and painful. So when my dental floss got stuck in a problematic filling, I got really nervous with the prospects of seeing a new dentist. As Carolyn was trying to fix the bad work of a previous dentist, the filling broke. My gums were bleeding a lot because of the bad filling, and I had to take more injections so that Carolyn could continue working on my tooth. I got so nervous that my legs started shaking. At this point, Carolyn did two unforgettable things. Firstly, I could see in her eyes that she felt empathy for my suffering, and she did everything in her power to make me feel safe in her capable hands. Secondly, she fixed my tooth after 10 years of discomfort and two bad dentists. I am grateful for Carolyn with all my heart.
Carolyn and her team provide an outstanding dental service. Carolyn seems very up to date with best practice and new research in dentistry and dental health. She seems very thorough and precise, and determined to deliver a quality outcome that fits a patient’s needs and preferences. I was particularly impressed with Carolyn’s attention to detail in finding a way of making a large filing replacement work in a tooth that was in a difficult location with uncertain strength in its remaining enamel walls. Carolyn crafted the replacement to fit extremely well in a manner that seems to have maintained the required strength. I was also impressed with her attention to detail and current best practice in oral health, particularly the relationship between diet (high fruit intake) and dental hygiene.
As a very anxious dental patient I was recommended Carolyn Langrell-Read by a family member who happens to be a dental nurse herself, high praise in itself. I have now been a patient since 1986 and am extremely happy with her caring and professional manner. I required a significant amount of work to be done and have been well informed throughout each stage of the process. Over the past few years my attitude has changed since my first visit when I was terrified to even walk through the door, recently I was so relaxed that I nearly fell asleep in the chair and not due to sedation!! That is due to Carolyn’s patient, kind and thoughtful nature, it makes travelling from the North Shore very worthwhile indeed.
I have known Carolyn Langrell - Read for 6 years. In this time she has treated my gum disease, suggested that I should consider braces, (my bottom teeth were breaking my top teeth), and given me superior dental treatment. Her skill in filling, reconstructing, capping and saving teeth some that have been filled generously with amalgam in the past is extraordinary. Her manner is friendly and professional. She gives you an excellent explanation (both verbal and written) of the treatment she proposes or has achieved. Her equipment is excellent and this combined with her expertise enables her to achieve a very high standard of dental work I feel very confident that Carolyn will look after my teeth in the future and I can recommend her as an exceptional dentist.
Good morning Elaynor Thank you for the follow up call. The treatment has worked well and I have recovered fully. My long term association with your Clinic and repeated visits are a testimony of the good and professional care provided by Dr. Langrell-Read and her staff. I am always impressed with her eye for detail and the ability to listen and to communicate with her patient regarding the treatment planned and undertaken. I have recommended her services to my daughter in law.