Emergency Dental Care
Our aim is to provide you with prompt and pain-less emergency dental care.
Our practice can accommodate dental emergencies and accidents quickly and efficiently during weekdays. Outside of normal working hours please contact Dr Langrell-Read directly on mobile for advice.
When you have a dental emergency you need help fast. At Newmarket Family Dental Care we aim to provide emergency dental care and relief of pain as quickly as possible. During week days we endeavour to see you on the day to treat the real dental emergency. Some dental emergencies may be possible to leave a day or two for treatment. Please contact Newmarket Family Dental Care so we can help assess your needs.
We will be happy to assist you with the following dental emergencies:
A tooth knocked out
- Gently rinse the mouth with warm water.
- If it is a primary tooth (Baby tooth) do not reinsert the tooth into the socket as this may damage the permanent tooth developing beneath.
- It is advisable to submit an ACC claim in case of damage to the developing permanent tooth below.
- If it is a permanent tooth (Adult tooth) gently rinse the tooth in water or milk and reinsert the tooth into the tooth socket.
- The time delay is the critical factor in the survival outcome for the tooth that has been knocked out - The tooth must be re-inserted within 60 minutes of being knocked out to give the tooth any chance of long term survival following trauma.
- If the surrounding area is bleeding, using a clean cloth, apply direct pressure to the area for up to 20 minutes to stop the bleeding
Dental pain / tooth ache related to dental decay / dental caries
- Rinse mouth with warm water.
- Use dental floss to remove any food trapped between the teeth.
- If there is swelling, apply cold compresses to the outside cheek.
- DO NOT use heat or place aspirin on aching teeth or gums.
- Take pain relief medication such as Panadol / Panadeine / Nurofen to assist with pain management.
Travel insurance claims
- To ease the burden of a dental emergency the staff at Newmarket Family Dental Care will be happy to assist you with travel insurance claims.
- Full payment is required at time of emergency treatment - We will provide the necessary invoice and receipts to allow you to apply to your insurance company for reimbursement for treatment costs.
- We will provide you with a comprehensive report of the treatment and digital x-ray / clinical photographs to take to assist you with ongoing treatment needs once you return home.
- If your dental emergency is related to an accident then you may be entitled to financial assistance from Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC).
- The team at Newmarket Family Dental Care will assist you with the registration process and take the appropriate records / digital x-rays / clinical photographs to fast-track the claims process for you.
- We can provide dental registration forms & claims for NZ citizens & permanent residents if you have had an accident.
- Accident Compensation Corporation may provide a refund to you for the ACC fee component after the claim is submitted and accepted.
- Co-payment ranging from 50-75% of the fee is usually required, based on limited contributions from ACC.
- The ACC contribution is reduced if the tooth has suffered prior damage related to dental disease or previous trauma.
As a very anxious dental patient I was recommended Carolyn Langrell-Read by a family member who happens to be a dental nurse herself, high praise in itself. I have now been a patient since 1986 and am extremely happy with her caring and professional manner. I required a significant amount of work to be done and have been well informed throughout each stage of the process. Over the past few years my attitude has changed since my first visit when I was terrified to even walk through the door, recently I was so relaxed that I nearly fell asleep in the chair and not due to sedation!! That is due to Carolyn’s patient, kind and thoughtful nature, it makes travelling from the North Shore very worthwhile indeed.
I have known Carolyn Langrell - Read for 6 years. In this time she has treated my gum disease, suggested that I should consider braces, (my bottom teeth were breaking my top teeth), and given me superior dental treatment. Her skill in filling, reconstructing, capping and saving teeth some that have been filled generously with amalgam in the past is extraordinary. Her manner is friendly and professional. She gives you an excellent explanation (both verbal and written) of the treatment she proposes or has achieved. Her equipment is excellent and this combined with her expertise enables her to achieve a very high standard of dental work I feel very confident that Carolyn will look after my teeth in the future and I can recommend her as an exceptional dentist.
Good morning Elaynor Thank you for the follow up call. The treatment has worked well and I have recovered fully. My long term association with your Clinic and repeated visits are a testimony of the good and professional care provided by Dr. Langrell-Read and her staff. I am always impressed with her eye for detail and the ability to listen and to communicate with her patient regarding the treatment planned and undertaken. I have recommended her services to my daughter in law.
Carolyn's dedication insists on nothing but the best for her clients. Her well established business in Newmarket has a friendly atmosphere coupled with experience and meticulous care.